That dirty or aging shower curtain and shower curtain liner do not always need to be thrown away and replaced. They can be easily cleaned and brought back to like-new condition in no time, saving you both money and time during those occasional house cleaning projects. Just follow these shower curtain cleaning tips!
Cleaning a cloth shower curtain requires a little more care than cleaning a plastic curtain liner.
- Remove your shower curtain from the rings.
- Fill your washing machine with warm water on the largest load setting.
- Add a couple of drops of detergent and a cup of white vinegar.
- Toss in your cloth shower curtain on a gentle setting.
- Once the cycle is complete, hang your curtain back on the rod to air dry.
Can You Wash a Plastic Shower Curtain?
Yes, you can wash a plastic shower curtain in the washer. However, when you are washing it be sure to:
- Keep it on a cool setting.
- Add a bath towel or two.
- Never put your plastic curtain in the dryer.
- Always air dry your shower curtain.
How to Clean a Plastic Shower Curtain
Washing a plastic shower curtain requires you to add either a half cup of color-safe bleach, detergent, vinegar or baking soda to your washing cycle along with a few towels on a cool setting. Make sure not to mix any of these cleaning items, as they could cause a reaction to each other.
If you are specifically looking to kill mold spores or remove mildew, we highly recommend bleach as your washing product choice. After washing, simply hang your plastic curtain back up to dry.
How to Clean a Shower Curtain Liner
- Simply take down the curtain and toss it in your washing machine.
- Add a bath towel to help with scrubbing the shower liner.
- Make sure you keep it on the gentle setting to avoid damaging the liner.
- Hang the shower curtain liner to dry.
This method helps remove any built-up mold or mildew, which is very common on shower curtain liners that are constantly exposed to moisture and warmth. Following this suggestion is likely to save you approximately $20—or the cost of a new shower curtain liner—and will help with the overall impression your shower makes.
How to Clean Shower Curtain Rings
While your shower curtain or curtain liner is in the wash, take this as an opportunity to clean your shower curtain rings. Your shower curtain rings are exposed to all sorts of steam, soap scum and dust—they can get pretty dirty.
We recommend filling your bathroom sink with hot water and a cup of white vinegar. Soak your rings while your curtain is in the wash. Drain the sink and rinse the rings in warm water, using your fingers to scrape off any limescale or soap scum that remains.
Professional Bathroom and House Cleaning Services
While Molly Maid doesn’t include shower curtain cleaning as part of our regular cleaning services, we do clean the bathroom from top to bottom. Your shower walls, the inside of your tub, the sink, mirror, countertops, tile floor and toilet—it’s all covered!