How to Clean a Bathtub
Who wants to take a relaxing soak in a dirty bathtub? No one. Ignoring a dirty tub only makes it harder to clean. A regular bathtub cleaning routine can turn a semiannual one-hour job into a quick and simple 10-minute job every month. Removing soap scum from your tub will also help your grout and glass stay cleaner for longer.
Cleaning a Bathtub Step-by-Step
- Fill up a bucket with hot water, and pour the water all over the tub.
- Sprinkle baking soda on all tub surfaces. For extra-dirty tubs, use tub-and-tile cleaner instead.
- Fill your bucket with a half-gallon of hot water and two tablespoons of dish soap.
- Dip a scrub sponge or a stiff nylon brush into the bucket, and scrub all bathtub surfaces.
- Use the bucket to periodically rinse out the sponge or brush and to transfer soapy water into the tub.
- When cleaning especially dirty tubs or stains, sprinkle baking soda directly onto the sponge or brush after dipping it in your bucket solution, and scrub hard.
- Once you’re satisfied and the tub looks clean, use the bathtub hand sprayer or the bucket to rinse the tub.
- Finish up by polishing the tub faucet, drain and handles with a clean, dry cloth.
Is There Mold or Mildew in Your Tub?
If you have mold or mildew in your tub, start the bathtub cleaning process by filling a spray bottle with hot water and four tablespoons of bleach. Spray this solution onto the affected areas, and allow it to soak in. While the bleach is soaking in, sprinkle baking soda throughout the tub. Proceed to step three as outlined above.
Bathtub Cleaning Supplies
- Clean bucket
- Dish soap
- Scrub brush
- Cloth or hand towel
- Baking soda
- Tub-and-tile cleaner (optional)
- Spray bottle and bleach (for mold and mildew only)
Bathtub Cleaning Tips
- If you’re also cleaning the shower wall tiles, save the tub for last.
- Cleaning a tub shouldn’t be painful. Create a pad for your knees by folding a towel lengthwise several times.
- Slow drain? Sprinkle four tablespoons of baking soda into the drain, followed by two cups of vinegar. Once the bubbling stops, flush the drain with boiling water.
- Stubborn stain? Make a paste out of baking soda and water. Apply this to the stain, and let it set for a few hours. Wipe away the paste once it’s dry.
- Keep your bathtub drain clean and clear with a mesh drain catcher.
Don’t Stop at a Clean Bathtub
Once you’re finished, head to the Bathroom Cleaning page to learn how to clean your showerhead, glass shower door and more. Molly Maid knows your time is valuable. Let us clean your bathtub, your bathroom and the rest of your house so you can spend your free time the way you want to.
Ready to schedule a service? Call (800) 654-9647 to speak with our friendly customer service representatives. Or SCHEDULE A FREE ESTIMATE today!