House Cleaning Checklist
Step-by-Step Guide to a Clean House
When you hire Molly Maid, you’re hiring a professional. One of the marks of Molly Maid's professional cleaning service is that we clean your home with a game plan in mind. A strategy that takes on cleaning in a systematic, organized way (while having the flexibility to incorporate your custom wishes).
Surprised we’d share our secrets? We love to clean and love to train. And, we know our customers love our service. Besides, sharing is good. Use our house cleaning checklist to clean your home efficiently and thoroughly:
- Before you start going room to room, pause first to put on some great, lively music. That’s better. Now pick up clutter, and as you go, feel free to second-guess your belongings. The less you have, the less you have to put away, clean, and dust: scrutinize books, magazines, newspapers, DVDs, furniture, toys the kids have outgrown, old computers you’ve outgrown, old clothes and shoes in the closets…is it time to donate and recycle? Turn off light bulbs and ceiling fans as you go for the upcoming dusting work.
- Speaking of closets, if you have any that you’re afraid to open, face your fears it’s time to minimize and organize.
- Dust (go left to right, top to bottom) with microfiber cloths. This will lower allergens and improve the air quality in your house. Dampened cloths tied to the ends of mops and brooms work great for removing cobwebs. For slatted blinds, use the string to close them one way and dust, then close them the other way and repeat…it’s effective and a lot more efficient than trying to do one slat at a time. Don’t forget to hit the tops of doors, fans, light fixtures, picture frames and yes, each of your knick-knacks (keep them in display cases to reduce dusting work). For the face of framed photos, TV screens, and computer monitors, use glass cleaner on your cotton cloth or microfiber to avoid streaking.
- Vacuum. Make sure your bag/compartment isn’t already full, and use the right settings and attachments. Hit the floors in the whole house, and upholstered furniture. Be amazed at all those missing items (socks, your favorite pen) that you find under your couch cushions.
- Sweep/mop/treat floors (except kitchen). For mopping, start at the farthest corner of the room and move back toward the entrance. Rinse mop after completing each 4 x 4 foot area.
- Furniture freshening. Every now and then, some wooden furniture needs a good waxing.
KITCHEN CLEANING CHECKLIST
- Wipe down countertops and cabinets (start at immediate right of the stove).
- Clean face of appliances (refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher).
- Wipe down stovetop.
- Clean inside of microwave.
- Soak stove drip pans and knobs in sink.
- Clean inside and around sink.
- Sweep and mop floor (go light on cleaning product in the water to avoid build-up).
- More kitchen cleaning tips.
BATHROOM CLEANING CHECKLIST
- Remove rugs/wastebaskets (if you haven’t already when vacuuming earlier).
- Remove everything from tub/shower.
- Place bath mat in tub/shower.
- Wet tub/shower walls with warm water.
- Apply tile and grout cleaner, allow to sit.
- Spray/clean everything with all-purpose cleaner except toilet, vanity, shower/tub, mirror.
- Fill bucket with ¼ cup all-purpose cleaner and water to prep for floor cleaning.
- Stand on bath mat and scrub tub/shower walls and door (use grout brush in-between tiles as needed).
- Apply tile and grout cleaner to tub/shower floor and scrub.
- Clean shower rack/soap dishes.
- Clean shower track.
- Rinse off walls of tub/shower and dry with cloth.
- Vanity: spray tile and grout cleaner in sink, soap dish.
- Spray countertop with all-purpose cleaner.
- Scrub sink.
- Use grout brush along faucet and drain.
- Rinse the sink and your rag.
- Wipe the vanity countertop.
- Wipe down cabinet fronts.
- Clean mirror: spray glass cleaner on soft cloth and buff.
- Shine the faucets.
- Wash the floor with solution in the bucket and allow to dry.
- Replace rugs, bath mat and wastebaskets.
- More bathroom cleaning tips.
BEDROOM CLEANING CHECKLIST
If you've already removed clutter, dusted, and vacuumed the house and tidied your closets, your bedrooms will be basically done. To finish up, simply:
- Return any furniture (chairs, diaper bins, etc.) that you put up to vacuum earlier.
- Make bed.
- Special projects: Organize your sock drawer? Fold laundry and put in dresser? Put a mint on your pillow?
- More bedroom cleaning tips.
- Use a streak-free glass cleaner (don’t spray on too much) and wipe with newspapers.
- Clean large and hard-to-reach windows with a professional-quality squeegee.
- Clean window screens by removing from frame and scrubbing with all-purpose cleaner mixed with warm water. Scrub each screen with a bristle brush, rinse with outdoor hose and insert back into window to dry.
- More window cleaning tips.
- Contact our sister company, Window GenieLink opens in a new tab, for a professional window cleaning, inside and out!
Ready to schedule a service? Call (800) 654-9647 to speak with our friendly customer service representatives. Or SCHEDULE A FREE ESTIMATE today!