Which room in the house do you least like cleaning? Bet you said the bathroom. Ridding showers, bathtubs, toilets and other surfaces of all sorts of buildup takes both time and elbow grease. Clean your bathrooms fast and efficiently by using this 10-step process.
- Remove all items from their usual spots.
For best results, do this step for the entire bathroom at once, instead of as you go. Remove all of your products from the shower and/or bathtub. Toss all used towels and rugs outside the room. Move any items from the counters outside the bathroom, as well. Don’t forget to grab any trash cans.
- Dust and sweep.
To get rid of dust, grab your duster with a long handle to remove any cobwebs in corners, on light fixtures or in vents. If you still can’t reach the cobwebs, pull in a stepladder to get up high. Once done, sweep or vacuum the floors to pick up hair and other debris that may have accumulated on the floors.
- Apply cleaner to shower and bathtub.
Apply an all-purpose cleaner if you clean regularly or an acid-based cleaner if you have serious buildup to your shower. Don’t forget the shower track and inside the shower door, if applicable. Let it soak.
- Tackle other surfaces.
Spray the all-purpose cleaner on your cleaning device (i.e. microfiber cloth, sponge, etc.) and wipe down any towel racks, shelves, baseboards, doors, blinds and windowsills. Work in sections from the top of the room to the bottom, and left to right.
- Mix cleaning solution for floor.
Fill a bucket with warm water and the recommended amount of all-purpose cleaner.
- Hit the shower and bathtub.
At this point, the cleaner will have done much of the work for you, allowing you to lightly scrub away loose dirt and buildup. Get all walls, floors and other surfaces clean before rinsing.
- Finish the shower and bathtub.
Replace all items you removed, wiping them if necessary as you go, then close the shower curtain or door. If you do have a shower door, use glass cleaner to give it a streak-free finish.
- Clean the vanity area.
Spray the all-purpose cleaner on the sink, faucets and countertops, then wipe with a clean cloth. If you have buildup in the sink or in a soap dish, use a scrubby sponge to loosen before wiping clean. Use the glass cleaner on your mirror. A cloth dampened with water will remove dust from cabinet faces.
- Clean the toilet.
If you scrub inside your toilet regularly, the all-purpose cleaner should get the job done. Spray or sprinkle a toilet-specific cleaner if buildup exists, then scrub with a toilet brush before flushing. Spray the outside of the toilet with the all-purpose cleaner, then wipe with a clean cloth.
- Mop the floor.
Submerge your mop into the bucket of cleaning solution, squeeze out excess water, then clean the bathroom floor. Once the floor is dry, replace the trash can and your freshly laundered rugs.
The best way to clean a bathroom is by keeping it tidy between cleanings. While the above tips will help you clean your bathroom fast and efficiently, follow the tips below to keep it consistently clean:
- Keep a hand-held vacuum in the bathroom for daily pickup of hair and other debris on the floor.
- Install a hair-catcher in your drain to avoid buildup. When water doesn’t drain as it should, it leaves behind an ugly ring around the shower or bathtub.
- Squeegee shower walls after use to keep water marks at bay.
- Keep smaller items in bins and baskets to avoid clutter creep.
Of all the surfaces in the bathroom that require cleaning, the floor is one of the most important. The best way to clean a bathroom floor is by following these steps:
- First, clear the floor of all items, such as baskets, towels, toilet plungers, etc.
- Second, sweep up any dust that collected on the floor, especially in the corners.
- Third, use a vacuum to remove any remaining debris.
- Fourth, mix warm water and an all-purpose cleaner in a bucket, and mop the floor.
- Finally, keep everyone out of the bathroom long enough to allow the floors to dry.
Does someone in your house need a refresher on how to change an empty toilet paper roll? Share our video for a friendly reminder:
Happy cleaning! Discover more helpful cleaning tips from Molly Maid.
For your home cleaning needs, call the professionals at Molly Maid, a Neighborly company. Call 1-888-583-6490 now to connect directly with your local Molly Maid. Click here to request service in your area.