Your blush has set, your lipstick is the perfect shade and your eyeliner is … in the carpet.
Oh no! Although the makeup on your face may look great, it’s not so pretty on the carpet. Not to mention that eyeliner stains are among some of the trickiest to get rid of, especially if it gets matted in the carpet fibers. But not to worry! We have some tricks and tips that will combat those nasty dark streaks.
There are two effective methods for removing eyeliner stains from the carpet. Both require some household cleaning products and a clean, white towel. Try both and let us know which one works best.
How to Get Eyeliner Out of Carpet with Ammonia Treatment
Ammonia is one effective cleaner for removing eyeliner from carpet. Follow these steps to put it to work:
- Gather these items: ammonia, warm water, and a white cleaning towel.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ammonia to ½ cup of warm water. Dip white cleaning towel into the mixture.
- Blot the eyeliner stain with the towel until the area is saturated.
- Continue to rinse the towel and blot the area until the stain disappears
Note: Warm water and a drop of dish soap will also work in place of ammonia.
How to Get Eyeliner Out of Carpet with Shaving Cream
Believe it or not, shaving cream is an effective stain remover for eyeliner. Just follow these steps:
- Gather these items: shaving cream, warm water, and a white cleaning towel.
- Apply a dollop of shaving cream to your towel.
- Massage shaving cream into the eyeliner stain.
- Rinse your towel with warm water and blot the stained area.
- Repeat Step 1-3 until the stain disappears.
Additional Carpet Cleaning Considerations
As cleaning professionals, we always have a number of tricks up our sleeves. Consider these tips for any of your carpet cleaning needs:
- Always blot the carpet when using a towel; rubbing or scrubbing will only cause the stain to spread.
- Always use white towels; the dye in colored towels could transfer to your carpet.
- If you have loop carpeting, use a Q-tip to get between the fibers. The Q-tip will reach the stain even in deep carpeting.
- Never apply cleaning solution or mixtures directly to the carpet.
- Always use warm-hot water when tackling oil-based eyeliner; cold water could cause the stain to settle.
Perhaps our most valuable piece of advice: If you are one to do your makeup on the floor in front of a huge mirror – we’re guilty! – try laying down a bath towel or rug to prevent any carpet stains in the first place.
Eyeliner is both tricky to apply and tricky to clean. And accidents happen. As home cleaning professionals, nobody knows this better than us. We also know that you have better things to do than clean all the messes around your home or apartment. Let us handle the cleaning while you spend your time the way you want to.