Canvas shoes sure are comfortable. Just slip them on or tie them up and you’re ready to rock – that is until you notice your once-white shoes are now a dingy gray. Luckily, we have two effective shoe cleaning methods that will take your kicks from grimy to gorgeous, blemished to bright, whack to white – you get the idea!
How to Clean Your Favorite White Canvas Shoes
How to Hand Wash Your White Canvas Shoes
The hand-washing method requires a bucket, water, baking soda, laundry detergent and a scrub brush:
- Fill up your bucket or container with 1 gallon water and 1 cup baking soda
- Add a drop of laundry detergent for extra cleaning strength
- Remove your shoe laces and soak both the shoes and laces for one hour
- Next, use a cleaning brush (or toothbrush!) to scrub away stains
- Scrub the inside of your shoes (including the insole) to eliminate odors
- Adding laundry detergent to your solution can aid in removing stains.
- Rinse your shoes thoroughly and allow them to air dry before lacing them back up.
How to Wash Your White Canvas Shoes in the Washing Machine
- Similar to the hand-washing method, soak your shoes and laces in a water-baking soda solution.
- Place shoes in the washing machine along with a small amount of mild laundry detergent.
- Do not run laces through the washing machine, due to risk of tangling.
- Run the washing machine on a gentle cycle with cold water to prevent discoloration or weakening of glue.
- Allow your shoes to air dry and then replace the laces.
- Always knock off any heavy dirt on the bottom of your shoes.
- Canvas shoes with mixed fabrics (like suede detailing) should not be cleaned in the washer, but they can be hand washed with fabric shampoo (not detergent). Follow the instructions on the back of the label.
Although Molly Maid, a Neighborly company does not clean shoes, we are home cleaning experts with decades of experience. You can say we know a thing or two about cleaning and stain removal. And is your white canvas shoes are too clean, we can help with that, too! Contact your local Molly Maid or call (800) 654-9647 and talk about a cleaning plan that’s right for your cleaning needs. That way, you can spend more time doing whatever you want – all while putting some miles on those shoes!