Spilled coffee is the worst! It can drip onto your coffee table or down the front of your shirt. It can even splatter onto the carpet, leaving an unsightly, sometimes sticky stain as a reminder of your clumsy coffee calamity.
It’s best to treat coffee spills early, but with your hectic schedule, you might have to put off cleaning the stain until later. If you spilled your coffee last week and you’re just now trying to remove the old coffee stain from your carpet, follow these five steps for the results you’re hoping for.
Get Coffee Stains out of Carpet
- Lightly wet the stain with warm water to loosen the dried coffee. Then, blot the area with a dry white cloth, starting at the edges of the stain and moving inward to prevent the color from seeping to surrounding fibers. Continue to wet and blot the stain until no more coffee transfers from the carpet onto your cloth.
- Make your own cleaner. Using supplies you already have at home, you can remove coffee stains from carpet just as successfully, but less expensively, as buying commercial products. An effective coffee stain remover consists of one tablespoon liquid dish soap, one tablespoon white vinegar, and two cups warm water. Combine these in a dish and stir the solution with a spoon.
- Apply the cleaner with a clean cloth. As with the first step, blot from the edges of the stain and move inward. Dip the cloth into the dish as needed to refresh the cleaning solution. Blot with a dry towel to remove more of the coffee stain as it lifts from the carpet fibers.
- If the coffee contained cream or sugar, combine one capful of enzyme laundry detergent and one cup warm water in a fresh dish. Stir the solution to blend it well. Using a new cloth, dab this cleaning solution onto the old coffee stain to help break down the stickiness of the cream and sugar.
- Rinse the carpet with cool water. Blot up as much liquid as possible with a towel, and allow the carpet to air dry the rest of the way. Avoid walking on the area until the spot has dried completely.
Get Help Removing Stains
These do-it-yourself methods to remove coffee stains from carpet may be sufficient, but for particularly stubborn stains, you might need a professional carpet cleaners’ help. While Molly Maid does not clean carpets other than vacuuming, our insured, licensed, and uniformed housekeepers have experience getting out all kinds of stains out. To arrange professional house cleaning services near you, please contact your local Molly Maid or call us at (800) 654-9647 today for a free estimate!