How to Clean a Stained Coffee Mug
If you drink a cup of Joe every morning, you’re well aware of the ugly brown coffee stains your favorite drink leaves behind in your mug. It seems that no amount of washing with soap and water can remove this stubborn discoloration, especially from white mugs. What’s a coffee lover to do?
When the embarrassment of drinking coffee from a stained cup pushes you over the edge, there’s no need to resort to harsh chemicals like bleach. Odds are you have the necessary cleaning equipment in your pantry or medicine cabinet to remove those coffee stains once and for all. Simply follow these tips on how to wash a coffee mug by hand. Once you’re finished, the mug will look brand new.
Baking Soda Paste
- Sprinkle baking soda into the mug and add enough warm water to form a paste.
- Scrub the mixture with a sponge for a minute or two so the mildly abrasive baking soda can work the stains out.
- Rinse with clean water and admire the results!
- Fill the mug half full with boiling or very hot water from the tap.
- Top off the mug with white vinegar. Let the mixture soak for 10 minutes.
- Dump the vinegar water down the sink and scrub the freshly emptied mug with an abrasive sponge.
- Rinse with clean water, and you’re all set!
Salt and Ice
- Pour some salt into the bottom of the mug and dump a few pieces of crushed ice on top.
- Cover the mug with a few layers of plastic wrap and shake vigorously. The coarse salt removes the coffee stains without any chemicals.
- Rinse with clean water, and your mug is restored to its former glory!
Melamine Foam Sponge
- Dampen a melamine foam sponge and rub the inside of the mug until it comes clean.
- Wash the mug by hand with warm, soapy water and a scrub brush.
- Rinse with clean water to reveal how spotless your mug is now!
- Fill the mug with warm water and add a denture tablet. Let the tablet fizz and work its magic.
- When the fizzing stops, dump out the water and wash the mug by hand with warm, soapy water and a scrub brush.
- Rinse with clean water, and your spotless mug is ready to be used!
Get More Cleaning Assistance from Molly Maid
Washing dishes is a chore no one looks forward to, but you’ll certainly want to use these tips for how to wash a coffee mug by hand the next time you have guests over. These tried-and-true methods will save you from the embarrassment of serving coffee in stained mugs.
Cleaning all the mugs in your kitchen can be a tiring affair. Call on the professionals at Molly Maid for the rest of your home cleaning needs! While our staff doesn’t clean dishes, we can focus on other areas around your home that need attention. Choose us, so you can spend your time doing what you really love. Contact your local Molly Maid today for a free estimate.