Molly Maid is a leader in home cleaning and we’re based in Ann Arbor, Mich. Today, we were inspired to use our own expert cleaning tips and tricks and spent an afternoon freshening our office space. This fact may have had something to do with it, as well: the typical desk is capable of supporting up to 10 million bacteria – 400 times more germs than the average toilet seat!
Team members gathered for a quick review of Molly Maid’s cleaning techniques and supplies before transforming their desks and surrounding areas:
- Clean the room from top to bottom, moving left to right to ensure you don’t overlook door frames, door panels and window sills. Microfiber is reusable and dust and dirt stick to the fabric making the task easier and works great on computer monitors.
- Dust first, and then vacuum up the debris that falls to the floor.
- Clearing desktop clutter creates calm and allows you to focus on one task at a time. Scan important papers or file them away. Recycle as much unused paper as possible, as well.
- Disinfect your telephone. This frequently used piece of equipment can contain thousands of germs per square inch. Use a disinfecting wipe and wipe down the keypad, headset and mouthpiece regularly.
- Are there crumbs in your keyboard? Don’t invite critters to your desktop, tip your keyboard upside down over the trash can and shake away any food remnants. For serious dust, use a can of compressed air or dip a cotton swab in a disinfecting solution and then use it between the keys.
- Air freshener can make a big difference. The key is to spray it in the corners of your workspace. It will last longer in lower, foot traffic areas.
- Schedule regular cleanings on your work calendar. Tackling this task more often makes it easier.
Check out our team’s photos and interesting tips on Facebook and feel free to share your tips for keeping your workspace healthy and neat. You can also sign up to receive our monthly Molly Moments e-newsletter on our website.
Discover more helpful tips and checklists from the pros in our spring cleaning guide.